Skip to main content

Taking Flight

 


   
There are many times that I've felt that anticipation curl in my belly. The rush of adrenaline and the way my stoic Swiss heritage stamps down extra displays of excitement, my body letting go of the coursing excitement with taps of my finger or the inability to stand perfectly still.  I felt all of this when I stood with the other dozen or so people, everyone waiting in apparent boredom for the boarding call. I was anything but bored. I was terrified, because this 35 year old woman had never flown before. 

    I shifted closer to my husband, my nonchalance could have won me an acting award. Until we started down the long corridor, heading to the impossibly small plane door. Then I realized that I've watched too many cop shows, as my brain began spinning all the scary things that could happen in a narrow space like this. It only got worse when I actually started following my husband down the ridiculously narrow isle, my suitcase bumping along after me. 

    When I settled into my seat next to my husband, I assessed my mental and emotional state and realized I was ok. Still excited.  I bent my head to peer out of the baby-sized windows. Still ok. Still excited. But then we had sat for fifteen minutes. people were still coming on, and we were still waiting. I noticed how tall the seat in front of me was, and how close the seat back was to my face. I noticed how one of my shoulders was bumping my husbands shoulder, and my other shoulder was just inches from the side of the plane. I noticed how low the ceiling was. And then I thought about how it would feel to be seated here, hurtling through the air, with no where for me to go. 

    My claustrophobia began creeping in as anxiety started locking down my brain. I could feel a panic attack on the edges of my consciousness. 

    I remember closing my eyes and taking deep breaths. I focused on the excitement of seeing places that I had always dreamed of seeing. I channeled all the anxiety into my excitement (it's essentially the same chemicals that are released in our bodies for both of these emotions.).  I felt the anxiety begin to dissipate, and I opened my eyes again, determined to enjoy this new experience for what it was. 

    Many minutes later, the plane taxied to the runway. It was still dark outside. I watched out of my window, enjoying seeing the wing of the plane, the asphalt streaking below as the plane picked up speed. My anxiety reared its head again, but no, I channeled that and it became my EXCITEMENT and love of adventure.  I felt the moment the plane lifted off the ground, my stomach dropping in response, as the nose of our bird touched the sky, climbing and climbing. We leveled out, and then the plane turned, the wing beside me dipping as the pilot set our course.  I could see the entire city spread out below. Emotion touched my tear ducts, and I smiled as I watched the sun peek out of the horizon. 

    I settled back in my seat, ready for the long flight cross country, from the east coast to the west coast.  After years of dreaming, I was finally taking flight to see California. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brush off your jeans and get up

 I am in a season where words no longer feel effortless for me. I used to sit down and fill an entire page with confident, concise words. I knew what I wanted to say and I knew my target audience, and I had no doubt that what I had to say would be a blessing to someone.  And it was.  And then life happened.  I have fallen on my face many times. Gotten up. Brushed myself off. And then fallen flat again. Sometimes I bounce back up, but more often than not, I have stayed fetal. Curled up. Protected my organs so to speak.  Bruised, peering around, unsure if there's any use to use my words. Decided there wasn't a use and tucked my head, grasped my knees, and stayed down, because there was too much in my head. Too much to sort out. Too much that I was unsure about, so I convinced myself I had nothing worthwhile to say.  A lifetime of bouncing up and not processing what things meant had made me weary. So I stayed down. This became my normal reaction over the past ...

The Good, The Bad, and Homeschooling

We started school again on Monday. This year holds a first for me - I am schooling FIVE kids in FIVE different grades. Unlike what my preference would be - I wasn't able to send my little blessings off to school for another year of peaceful growth.  Yes, you read that right. I am not not one of the homeschool moms that loves homeschool. It is brutal and excruciating, and I only do it because I feel like it's right for our kids, not because I WANT to.  I am glad there are some mothers out there who like homeschooling. We need those women, but we also need you to try and understand where we are coming from. And those who dislike homeschooling might feel validated and seen by this post. :)  It's humbling to admit that I'm at the breaking point every single day.  It's humiliating to admit that a week of homeschooling has so thoroughly kicked my butt that I'm unable to go to church on Sunday.  It's excruciating to admit that I am so exhausted after merely five da...

End of an Era

I've been in a bit of a haze the last three weeks. My Grandpa left us to be with Jesus on April 9th.  I have not been allowing myself enough moments to process and grieve, and as a result, the fog thickens.   I am hoping that allowing myself to crawl back into my memories for a little while will help to dispel some of the fog.  I've had multiple best friends through the years... my childhood best friend, my cousin best friend, my adult best friend, my soulmate best friend. But the one person that was my best friend through all of the years of best friends - was my Grandpa. As a little girl, I remember taking Grandpas big hand, and leading him along, jabbering about my toy horses and telling him all about my cats and fussing about my brothers. He mostly listened. He had the most gentle. husky voice and his laugh is forever burned into my memory. He had a little raspy chuckle he would do in response to my chattering, and that chuckle always told me that he was listenin...